Sunday, November 7, 2010

Filibuster

I think that this idea of a filibuster is a little ridiculous. I guess that in one sense I suppose it brings justice to the idea of democracy because it allows citizens of the country to voice their opinions and allows them to act on their beliefs. But on the other hand, this idea of someone literally standing up and reading out of the phonebook to postpone action on a bill is absurd to me. If used appropriately, I think this tool could be beneficial to democracy, but when this right is blown out of proportion, I think it harms the system.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, the fact that someone could simply read the phone book to postpone action is simply ridiculous.This idea of a filibuster is a tricky one.If a majority of the people want something I almost feel like filibusters should not be able to postpone it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think filibisters need rules, one should not be allowed to talk about anything they want, like reading names from a phone book. I think they need stricter guidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree, it allows for a more democratic system, but restrictions are in order.

    ReplyDelete