Thursday, October 21, 2010

Post #5

Even though one of the most important informal requirements seems to be having lots of money, I think that the middle class majority of our country is somewhat represented by these candidates. These days, it is basically imperative that a candidate have money-and lots of it-in order to simply run for office. I also think that women were somewhat represented before women were elected to h old public office, but ultimately increased their representation by having officeholders that were women themselves. The population of poor or middle class members of Congress is basically nonexistent, and although I think it is unfair and somewhat unrepresentative, I also think that it is just the way things in our political world work today, and so it must be accepted and made the bet of. I think that some informal requirements are worthwhile for candidates to have such as familial situations and their fundamental morals, however some are rather unfair, such as monetary situation and gender.

3 comments:

  1. Its too bad that people who really do want to make a difference in our government are not able run for office because they are not rich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you and joey said. I believe that people who actually experience the middle class would greatly represent our country as they know and understand the needs of the middle class. Although it is unfortunate that only the wealthy are able to hold offices I believe along with Elly that it is just the way our political world is run and that it will always remain that way so we might as well make the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah. what happened to trying to win votes by being the "everyday middle class man." it seems that one who fits this description would be more passionate about his or her role in the government rather than being influenced by $$$$$.

    ReplyDelete